If you are new to sewing, this Brother XL2600i Sew Advance sewing machine is a feature-rich machine that won’t deplete your bank account. It is easy to learn and set up, right out of the box. You simply set the tension, fill your bobbin, thread the machine and you’re good to go in less than five minutes. This machine is designed in a lightweight, easily portable design and comes with an instruction manual that walks you through everything from the basics to get you started to the custom-sizable buttonholes. Whether you’re planning to simply alter clothing or create your own designs, or you’re more the crafting, quilting, home décor type, this machine is worth the time to look at.
Some of the stand-out features of the Brother XL2600i are:
- Stitch selector: there’s a clearly marked dial that lets you choose your stitch style. All you have to do is rotate the dial in counter-clockwise motion to get your desired setting. It will remain there until you change it; no need to reprogram anything after you turn the machine off.
- Automatic threading: this is almost a must in today’s sewing machines. There’s a threading diagram printed on the machine. Follow the easy threading directions then let the automatic needle threader do the rest.
- Drop-in bobbin: the jam-resistant bobby is a drop-in style. You just drop it in, pull the thread though the slot, and you’re ready to go. Winding the bobbin is a snap, as well. Once your upper thread is in place, set the bobbin on the winder and push the bobbin control to the right. The machine will wind your bobbin for you – simple, fast, and reliable.
- Buttonholes are a breeze: with one-step, creating buttonholes custom sized to fit your needs is super easy with the built-in, one-step buttonhole stitch. Once you have the appropriately sized buttonhole, then you can sew the button on with the included button fitting foot.
- Free arm is built-in: whether you’re sewing garments or crafts, there’ll come a time when you’ll need to get a seam into a cylindrical item. The built-in arm is perfect for sewing cuffs, sleeves, pant legs and craft projects.
- Multiple stitches built-in: comes with 25 built-in multiple function stitch patterns. These are perfect for novice sewers and popular sewing projects. The stitch selections include14 styles for garment construction. If you want decorative stitches, there are 4 included from which you can choose. If heirloom stitches are what you want, you can pick from 3 included styles. Quilting remains a popular sewing project, and this Brother XL2600i includes two specific quilting stitches for you. And not to be forgotten is the automatically sized buttonhole stitch.
- Accessories: the accessory pouch comes packed with 5 different presser feet (zipper, blind stitch, buttonhole, button fitting, and narrow hemmer). There’s a twin needle and a needle set, along with an extra spool pin. There’s a darning plate and 3 bobbins to get you started. There’s even a screwdriver especially sized for your machine.
In the end, it comes down to what features you need and how much you’re willing to pay for it. Here’s an outline of the features in the Brother XL2600i Sew Advance sewing machine, and a few of the points that don’t quite add up to perfect in the view of some.
- Simple stitch selector.
- Threading system with automatic needle threader.
- Bobbin is jam-free.
- Simple bobbin automatic winding.
- Speed control system included.
- Stitch quality is maintained across the array of stitches offered.
- Lightweight and easily portable.
- Includes detailed instruction manual.
- Low price.
- 25 year limited warranty.
- No display screen.
- No invisible zipper foot.
- Constructed mostly of plastic.
- Doesn’t come with a case or dust cover.
- May not meet requirements of more advanced sewers.
- Has to be run on slower speeds to prevent needle breaking when using heavy or bulky fabrics, such as denim.
- Thread spindle can only handle small spools.
If you’re a beginner and not looking to invest a lot in your first machine, this Brother XL2600i Sew Advance sewing machine is well worth a look. It offers numerous features that may ordinarily be found only on more expensive machines. While it may not stand up to an industrial production line, for your sewing needs at home it is an economical choice that will let your creative nature come through.